Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Reading


Things get pretty quiet around here at night and we've had ample time for one of my favorite pastimes: summer reading!  Even though it's the same as reading any other time of the year there's something nice about making a list of books I want to tackle in the summer.  Up until a week before I departed I had planned to bring six hefty books to get me through the summer, but as the pile of items to bring with me ballooned to an unreasonable size, I had to re-think things.   

Driven by anxiety about not being able to carry enough books, I bought a Kindle.  As a bibliophile I had an incredibly guilty conscious as I hit the purchase button.  I have to say it hasn't been that bad though.  I finished my first book on it last week (Erik Larsen's In the Garden of Beasts - verdict: not as good as DITWC but still interesting) and am on to my next one (Randy Shilts' And the Band Played On - very appropriate for working at an HIV research center this summer).  I don't think it will be a permanent switch though.  Despite John's insistence that I buy no more bookshelves, I'll be back to my book buying and collecting ways back in Brooklyn.  For now I'll pretend I'm one of these people relaxing with a real book.  Like President Obama I want to tackle Team of Rivals soon.  Very annoyingly the Kindle addition is more expensive than a paperback version.  What gives?



Also, check out my friend Jen's post on vacation reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment