Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Amazing Stories

Louis Zamperini hugging his mother upon his return from being held as a POW in Japan,
via Wall Street Journal.

It's no secret I'm a bit of a history nerd and lately I've been especially captivated by World War II stories (evidenced by my Band of Brothers obsession, our trip to Normandy, and my recent re-read of The Zookeeper's Wife). I simply love learning about people and stories that we otherwise wouldn't know about - and people have amazing stories! So you can imagine how excited I was that our current book club pick is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. All I can say is: just finished it, loved it, and I would highly recommend to anyone. The book is essentially a biography of US Olympian turned bomber Louis Zamperini who along with his pilot drifted at sea after their plane went down in 1943 only to be captured and held as POWs for the duration of the war. From breaking track records in the 1920s to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin to prepping for war in Oahu, this book has fantastic historical anecdotes. See here for an excerpt. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment